Sage Stuffed Pork Fillet, Chorizo Scotch Egg, Apple and Mustard Sauce.
This dish is a perfect midweek treat, the only difficult part is making up the Chorizo scotch eggs. They can be quite fiddly, but once you’ve mastered the first the rest are easy. The entire dish of sage stuffed pork fillet and a scotch egg is rather on the meaty side, hence the eggs are only little quail eggs and served as a half per portion.
The apple and mustard sauce is so refreshing and easy to make. It is simply Bramley apples cooked down with some spices until smooth. I then, add a touch of stock, mustard and cream to help amalgamate the flavours.
- Chorizo Scotch Eggs
- 4 Quail Eggs
- 250g Fresh Chorizo Sausages
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- 1 egg
- 5 Tbsp Breadcumbs
- Pork Fillet
- 500g Pork Fillet
- 6-7 Sage Leaves
- 6-7 Slices Serrano Ham
- Apple and Mustard Sauce
- 2-3 Bramley (Cooking) Apples
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Star Anise
- 100ml Chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp Grain Mustard
- 3 Tbsp Creme Fraiche(low fat works well)
- 1Prepare the Scotch eggs. Boil the quail eggs for 2 minutes, and place in iced water. Peel under running water. Remove the chorizo out of the sausage skins. Place a square of cling film on the bench. Press out a square of sausagemeat at least 5mm thick. Add a quail egg and carefully fold up the egg with the cling film corners, and press the chorizo together so that there are no gaps. Wrap tightly with cling film. Leave in fridge to set for an hour. To cook, cover in flour, egg and breadcrumbs and deep fry at 170°c for 6 minutes. Alternatively, bake for 10 mins at 180°c.
- 2To prepare the pork, lay out cling film and a rectangle of the serrano ham slices. Cut the fillet in two, add sage leaves and season with black pepper only. Encase the ham around the fillet. Wrap up with the cling film. To cook, brown each side for 30 Secs and then place in a 180°c oven for 15mins. Rest for 5 mins then slice.
- 3For the sauce,peel the apple and cut away from the core. Add a knob of butter to the pan, cook with the spices and apple for 5 mins. Add the chicken stock. Cook until you have a mush. Remove spices, add mustard, cream and seasoning.
- 4To serve, I have added some crushed new potatoes with cabbage and steamed asparagus.